SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION INFORMATION – NOVEMBER 2018
2018 Instructions for Annual School Election Petitions:
Candidate Nominating Petitions must be filed with the County Clerk by the deadline of Monday, July 31 before 4:00 p.m.
The County Clerk’s Office is located at 2 Broad Street, Room 113, Elizabeth, NJ 07207. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact the County Clerk’s Office at 908-527-4996 for more information or email email@example.com.
A Petition Form can be obtained by calling 908-527-4996 or in person at the County Clerk’s Office.
Qualifications and Instructions for Petition
Candidates filing a nominating petition for school board must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident for at least one year preceding the date of election in the municipality where he/she is to be elected
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1*
- Is a registered voter in the school district
*Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department of Education.
Instructions for Petition
1. Before circulating the petition complete section “A. Nominating Statement” and section “B. Signatories” above the area for the signatures, printed name, residence and mailing address.
2. Then have voters sign, print their name and print their complete residence. The candidate must sign if he/she is the person circulating the petition.
3. Once all signatures are gathered the person who circulated the petition for the signatures must take the oath in section “C.Verification” before a notary public.
4. Section “D. Notice” is the notice to which all candidates must comply.
5. In section “E. Candidate’s Acceptance and Oath of Allegiance” the candidate must take the oath before a notary public.
MONDAY, JULY 30, 2018 – Petition filing deadline for School Board candidates at 4 p.m.
FRIDAY, AUG 3, 2018 - Deadline for objections to School Board candidates nominating petitions
THURSDAY, AUG 9,2018 – Deadline for Determination of Petition Challenge for School Board petitions
MONDAY, AUG 13, 2018 – November General Election and School Board Election Ballot Position Drawing at 3 p.m.
TUESDAY, AUG 28, 2018 – Last day for an Independent candidate and School Board candidate to withdraw from the General Election Ballot
TUESDAY, SEPT 4, 2018 - Petition filing deadline for New Nomination Petition to fill a vacancy for an Independent candidate and School Board candidate for the General Election
FRIDAY, SEPT 7, 2018– Last day for a candidate nominated in the Primary Election to withdraw from the General Election
THURSDAY, SEPT 13, 2018 – Last day to fill a vacancy of Primary Election nominees
TUESDAY, OCT 9, 2018 – 29-Day Pre-General Election and Pre-School Board Election Campaign Finance Report due in Trenton
TUESDAY, OCT 16, 2018 – Last day to register to vote for the November General Election
TUESDAY, OCT 23, 2018 – Deadline for filing of appointments or applications for Challengers with the Union County Board of Elections for the General Election and for the School Board Election
FRIDAY, OCT 26, 2018 – 11-Day Pre-General Election and Pre-School Board Election Campaign Finance Report due in Trenton
TUESDAY, OCT 30, 2018 - Last day to apply by mail for a Mail-In Ballot for the November General Election
FRIDAY, NOV 2, 2018 – Challenge to Mail-In Ballots for the General Election and School Board Election at the Board of Elections
SATURDAY, NOV 3, 2018 – Special opening from 9 a.m. to 1 p. m. of the County Clerk Offices in Elizabeth and Westfield to apply for a Mail-In Ballot for the General Election
MONDAY, NOV 5, 2018 - Last day to apply in person for a Mail-In Ballot before 3 p.m. in the County Clerk Offices in Elizabeth and Westfield
TUESDAY, NOV 6, 2018 – General Election Day: Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.