SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION INFORMATION – NOVEMBER 2022
2022 Instructions for Annual School Election Petitions:
Candidate Nominating Petitions had to have been filed with the County Clerk by the deadline of Monday, July 25, 2022 before 4 p.m
Qualifications and Instructions for Petition
Candidates filing a nominating petition for school board must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident for at least one year preceding the date of election in the municipality where he/she is to be elected
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1*
- Is a registered voter in the school district
*Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department of Education.
Instructions for Petition
1. Before circulating the petition, complete section “A. Nominating Statement” and section “B. Signatories” above the area for the signatures, printed name, residence and mailing address.
2. Then have voters sign, print their name and print their complete residence. The candidate must sign if he/she is the person circulating the petition.
3. Once all signatures are gathered, the person who circulated the petition for the signatures must take the oath in section “C.Verification” before a notary public.
4. Section “D. Notice” is the notice to which all candidates must comply.
5. In section “E. Candidate’s Acceptance and Oath of Allegiance”, the candidate must take the oath before a notary public.
MONDAY, JULY 25, 2022 – Petition filing deadline for School Board candidates at 4 p.m.
FRIDAY, JULY 29, 2022 - Deadline for objections to School Board candidates nominating petitions
THURSDAY, AUG 4, 2022– Deadline for Determination of Petition Challenge for School Board petitions
MONDAY, AUG 15, 2022 – November General Election and School Board Election Ballot Position Drawing at 3 p.m.
TUESDAY, AUG 30, 2022 – Last day for an Independent candidate and School Board candidate to withdraw from the General Election Ballot
MONDAY, SEPT 6, 2022 - Petition filing deadline for New Nomination Petition to fill a vacancy for an Independent candidate and School Board candidate for the General Election.
TUESDAY, SEPT 13, 2022– Last day for a candidate nominated in the Primary Election to withdraw from the General Election.
THURSDAY, SEPT 15, 2022 – Last day to fill a vacancy of Primary Election nominees
TUESDAY, OCT 11, 2022 – 29-Day Pre-General Election and Pre-School Board Election Campaign Finance Report due in Trenton
TUESDAY, OCT 18, 2022 – Last day to register to vote for the November General Election
TUESDAY, OCT 25, 2022 – Deadline for filing of appointments or applications for Challengers with the Union County Board of Elections for the General Election and for the School Board Election
FRIDAY, OCT 28, 2022 – 11-Day Pre-General Election and Pre-School Board Election Campaign Finance Report due in Trenton
SATURDAY, OCT 29, 2022 - Early Voting begins for the General Election and ends November 6, 2022
TUESDAY, NOV 1, 2022 - Last day to apply by mail for a Mail-In Ballot for the November General Election
SATURDAY, NOV 5, 2022 - Special Opening from 9 am to 1 pm of the County Clerks Offices in Elizabeth and Westfield to apply for a Mail-In Ballot for the General Election.
SUNDAY, NOV 6, 2022 - Early Voting for the General Election Ends
MONDAY, NOV 7, 2022 - Last day to apply in person for a Mail-In Ballot before 3 p.m. in the County Clerk Offices in Elizabeth and Westfield
TUESDAY, NOV 8, 2022 – General Election Day: Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.