SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION
SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION INFORMATION – NOVEMBER 2023
2023 Instructions for Annual School Election Petitions:
Candidate Nominating Petitions had to have been filed with the County Clerk by the deadline of Monday, July 31, 2023 before 4 p.m
Qualifications and Instructions for Petition
Candidates filing a nominating petition for school board must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident for at least one year preceding the date of election in the municipality where he/she is to be elected
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1*
- Is a registered voter in the school district
*Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department of Education.
Instructions for Petition
1. Before circulating the petition, complete section “A. Nominating Statement” and section “B. Signatories” above the area for the signatures, printed name, residence and mailing address.
2. Then have voters sign, print their name and print their complete residence. The candidate must sign if he/she is the person circulating the petition.
3. Once all signatures are gathered, the person who circulated the petition for the signatures must take the oath in section “C.Verification” before a notary public.
4. Section “D. Notice” is the notice to which all candidates must comply.
5. In section “E. Candidate’s Acceptance and Oath of Allegiance”, the candidate must take the oath before a notary public.
MONDAY, JULY 31, 2023 – Petition filing deadline for School Board candidates by 4 p.m.
THURSDAY, AUG 3, 2023– Deadline for Amendments to Defective Petitions for School Election Candidates (3 days after filing deadline)
FRIDAY, AUG 4, 2023 – Filing Deadline for Objections to Nomination Petitions for School District Elections.
THURSDAY, AUG 10, 2023 – Deadline for Determination of Petition Challenge for School Election Candidates for General Election.
MONDAY, AUG 14, 2023 – Drawing of Ballot Position for General Election Candidates by the County Clerks.
TUESDAY, AUG 29, 2023 – Deadline for Withdrawal of School Board District Candidates.
TUESDAY, OCT 17, 2023 – Voter Registration Deadline for General Election.
OCTOBER 28 - NOVEMBER 5, 2023 – Early Voting Period
TUESDAY, NOV 7, 2023 - General Election Day: Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.