June 20, 2019
Dear Families of Students in Room 102,
If I am to be your teacher in September, you have received a letter from the office stating so. As teachers are working without a contract, I will not be returning to the classroom before September 3rd. However, I know Back to School sales are already on and wanted to give you a heads-up as to the supplies your child will need. For the first day of school, your child will ONLY need the folder and both types of crayons.
My name is Susan Poage and I will be your child’s first grade teacher this year! I can’t wait to meet all of my new students and their families. There will be a “meet the teacher” scheduled in September, please see the MKM website for details. This is a quick time to look in the classroom and drop off supplies.
In addition to the enclosed First Grade Supply List, I would like to ask that you provide the following items below. Please be sure to clearly label ALL of your child’s supplies with his/her full name. (If there are any concerns with purchasing school supplies please let me know.)
*Backpacks: Please refrain from hanging keychain collectibles off the backpack.
- Two 2-pocket folders, one of which will be used for homework (already on the supply list) and school communication. Please label the left side HOME and the right side SCHOOL. Class work, homework, letters, etc. will be placed on the home side. Also, any notes or homework that your child has for me should be sent to school in this folder on the school side. This is one activity that helps teach organization skills. The second folder should be labeled: WORK UNDER CONSTRUCTION
- 1 sturdy 1” 3-ring binder with your child’s name on the front and the spine (for writing pieces)
- One 150 page spiral notebook with a front pocket folder and 5 sections with tabs. (5 subjects notebook) Label the front a with child’s NAME and SCIENCE. Label the tabs Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 3, Unit 4, Unit 5.
- One 150 page spiral notebook with a front pocket folder and 5 sections with tabs. (5 subjects notebook) Label the front a with child’s NAME and LANGUAGE ARTS. Label the tabs WTL, AC, RW PT, VOCAB
- Two eight packs of washable markers.
*One box 8 ct Crayola® Multicultural Crayons
- 1 small NON GLASS container (with a lid) containing 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 20 nickels, and 20 pennies (for math – all year)
- I DECK OF PLAYING CARDS (REMOVE JACKS, QUEENS, KINGS AND JOKERS) NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE DECK
- 2 favorite books that your child likes to look at, read, or listen to. (labeled with name)
- 2 recent photos of your child by him/herself no make-up or masks (4x6 or 3x5 size)
- 1 artifact (special object) that triggers a special memory for your child. (Also put in a ziplock storage bag labeled with your child’s name.
Note: The artifact is used to kick off our Writers’ Workshop! The children will be telling their classmates the story behind the picture. The artifact should be something that also triggers a particular memory- like a souvenir, a special gift, or a letter written by someone else. It should be small enough to fit in your child’s hand.
- Birthdays: Please read the handbook for birthday information.
- Shoes/clothing: Please dress your child in comfortable, appropriate clothing. Students go outside everyday, weather permitting. For the safety of your child, sneakers and closed shoes are the best choice. For their safety, children who are not wearing appropriate footwear will be limited during outside activities as well as gym. It is helpful to put your child’s name in all outerwear.
- Specials: As soon as school starts and I receive my schedule, I will post the specials list on the website.
Backpacks, lunch bags, and all outer clothing should be clearly marked on the inside with your child’s name.
On the first day of school your child should bring his/her backpack, folders, and lunch. or lunch money. (No snack on the first days as we have early dismissal. Starting September 10th, all other school supplies not previously dropped off can be sent in the backpack.
Thank you for your cooperation. The home-school partnership is an integral part in your child’s education. I look forward to meeting you at either the Meet and Greet or Back-to-School night.