Governor Livingston High School
Block A - Room: 24
Google Classroom code: 9bfiv
Students in Jazz Improvisation will be exposed to the United States’ most influential and important cultural contribution to music. This exposure will be achieved by listening to influential recordings, watching video of the greatest giants in jazz performance/composition, regularly transcribing standard melodies and solos, learning about jazz history, mastering jazz theory and harmony, and, most importantly, performing jazz music daily.
Students in this course are expected to:
1) Be on time in their chairs with their folders.
2) Have a pencil (NOT PEN) for marking in their parts.
3) Practice course material at home.
4) Check and use e-mail and Google Classroom daily for recordings, announcements and assignments.
5) Complete any assignments in a timely fashion.
6) Attend all course performances.
Grades are earned based on the following criteria:
1) Class Participation and Preparedness – (25%) This weekly grade includes participation in the regular Jazz Improvisation block, as well as overall preparedness of course music.
2) Homework – (25%) These will be both written and performance-based.
3) Quizzes – (25%)
4) Attendance at Performances – (25%)
1) Listening – There will be daily listening/viewing of great jazz recordings.
2) Transcribing – Each student will be expected to complete one transcription assignment per marking period.
3) History – We will cover significant periods/figures chronologically throughout jazz history.
4) Theory – Music theory, especially as is germane to jazz performance/ composition, will be an important aspect of this course.
5) Performance – We will rehearse concert music or read other jazz material each day of class.
Class attendance and infraction procedures will follow the School Handbook’s attendance policy.
Required performances for this course will occur in Marking Periods 2 and 4. Planned performance dates are as follows:
Winter Concert: 01/23/20 at 7:30 PM
Spring Small Ensembles Concert: 04/21/20
Union County Teen Arts: Spring, TBD
Parents will be able to monitor student attendance and grades via the Parent Portal. If a parent does not have a login and/or password for the Parent Portal, they can obtain one by contacting Mrs. Milos in the Main Office at Extension 2501.