Why this Mathematics Summer recommendation/assignment?
● to provide students with a more engaging set of practice exercises.
● to provide students tutorials to review concepts.
● to provide instant feedback to students so that they can correct and recognize mistakes.
● to allow students to hit the ground running in September.
What is Khan Academy?
● Khan Academy is a non-profit organization funding through grants from organizations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
● It provides missions aligned to the common core standards.
How does Khan Academy get paid?
● Khan Academy is a non-profit organization that has many sponsors. https://www.khanacademy.org/about/our-supporters
Do I have to do this?
● It has been shown that students who do not engage in educational activities over the summer will experience learning losses. Research shows that student typically score lower on standardized tests in September then they do at the end of the school year.(White, 1906; Heyns, 1978; Entwisle & Alexander 1992; Cooper, 1996; Downey et al, 2004).
● The topics and material is the assignment are a review of what you have learned in previous classes. This material will form the foundation of information you will need as you mope ahead in mathematics.
● When you return in September, your assignments will build upon the prior knowledge.
Will this assignment be graded?
● In September you will invite your teacher to be your coach in Khan Academy. Teachers will then be able to view your prior work and see your strengths and areas that need improvement. Teachers can then modify lessons to include targeted review for students that need it.
● When school starts in September teachers can assign review work in Khan Academy. Any prior work completed by a student will count towards those assignments.
Do I need a Khan Academy Account?
● Yes. Always make sure you are logged into Khan Academy when working in Khan Academy. Your username should be at the top right of the page when logged in.
How much time should I spend on this?
● It is recommended that students spend 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week.
I have completed the recommendations, what should I do?
● Khan Academy will show you have practiced a skill after getting 5 in a row correct. (The number may be less for certain skills.)
● You can then work to get Mastered in each skill. To achieve mastery you need to work on the mastery challenges. Mastery challenges pick random problems from previous skills. If you get the problem correct in the Mastery Challenge you will move up a level. Problems may not show up in mastery challenges right away. Khan Academy is looking to see that you have retained that skill over several days.
● If you have mastered all of the recommended skills, you can work on the previous mission or start work on the new mission.
How do I create an account?
● You have several options for creating an account.
○ OPTION 1: For most students the google option will work the best.
■ Goto https://www.khanacademy.org/ and click login in the upper right.
■ Use your school google account.
● The Username is their school email address. (email@example.com)
● The password is their student id (Lunch code) with Bh or BH or bh at the end.
○ OPTION 2: Students create a new account using email.
○ OPTION 3: Parents can create a parent account on Khan Academy and from the parent account create an account for their child. See link for more information. https://www.khanacademy.org/coach-res/reference-for-coaches/how-to/a/creating-your-parent-account
My student is struggling to get 5 in a row correct. What should we do?
● Working out the solutions on paper before entering them in can help you to get the correct solution. Make sure to check your work when ever possible before entering into the computer. Do the problem twice and make sure you get the same answer.
● Review the videos with the sample problems and try working them out on paper.
● If the student is struggling to get a certain set of problems encourage them to look at an easier set first. Once they achieve success the other problems won’t look as bad.
The student can’t log into Khan Academy on the ipad using the school google apps account. It logs in, but the top right never shows the student’s username.
● This can happen on the ipad or on a PC where certain cookies are blocked. On the ipad this can happen after an update to IOS 8 when there is an IOS 7 profile. Students with school issued ipad need to have a Techsupport person install the new profile.
● A work around is to create a local Khan Academy Account. This can be done with the school account on a Computer.
○ Log into Khan Academy using the school gmail account.
○ Open your settings page. https://www.khanacademy.org/settings/account
○ Set a username and password. This will be the username and password you can use on the ipad to log directly into Khan Academy.
I have completed 100% of the mission in school this year, what should I do?● First of all. Congratulations!!!● You can continue to work on Mastery Challenges. These will continue to ask you review questions to help make sure that you still have 100% of what you have learned.● It is then recommended that you look at the additional challenge to build the skills you will need next year.
How do I add my parent so they can see my work?● You can add your parent as a coach by using their email address.● Your parent will need to create a Khan Academy Account first using their email address.
● Follow this link to the Khan Academy website with direction on how to add a coach.