2020 REGION CHORUS AUDITIONS
Saturday December 14, 2019
Snow Date (if needed): Saturday December 21, 2019
J.P. Stevens HS, Edison
REHEARSAL DATES AND LOCATIONS
January 17, 2020 9:00am-3:00pm – Rutgers-Mortensen Hall – THIS IS A SCHOOL DAY!
January 18, 2020 9:00am-1:00pm – Westfield HS
January 24, 2020 4:00pm-8:30pm – Monroe Twp HS
January 25, 2020 9:00am-1:00pm –Mandatory Dress Rehearsal–Monroe Twp HS
REHEARSAL SNOW DATE – Sunday January 19, 2020 9:00-1:00pm Location TBD
January 26, 2020 3:00pm CONCERT (Call Time 11am) – Monroe Twp HS
February 2, 2019 3:00pm CONCERT SNOW DATE-Monroe Twp HS
I need your SIGNED application by MONDAY, 11/11. I will get Mr. Nixon's signature, just get your parent/guardian.
Please let me know ASAP if you would like to audition.
REGION II HIGH SCHOOL CHORUS
Below you will find the information you will need for a successful audition. YOUR AUDITION MUST BE MEMORIZED.
1. Low Scale - Diatonic: Begin on the lower note and ascend one octave. Take a breath, then descend back to the starting pitch.
2. High Scale - Diatonic: Begin on the lower note and ascend one octave. Take a breath, then descend back to the starting pitch.
All Scales are sung a cappella on the vowel "ah." All starting pitches are given.
* Alto II and Bass II - Sing your low scale descending, pause for a breath and complete your scale, ascending.
* * Tenor II Low Scale - You have the option of beginning this scale either ascending or descending.
3. Chromatic Scale: Begin on the lower note and ascend in half steps to the destination pitch. Take a breath, then descend in half steps back to the starting pitch.
Sopranos and Tenors F to C
Altos and Basses C to G
Scores for all scales: one score for overall quality, one for diatonic intonation, and one for chromatic intonation, per judge.
4. Solo - The Ash Grove: The Solo is sung a cappella. The starting pitch for the solo (NOT the tonic) will be given.
Ash Grove practice tracks:
5. Quintet - The Silver Swan (SSATB)... the first 14 measures: The quintet is sung with recorded vocal accompaninment. The CD will indicate the tonic pitch of Gb, will pause briefly to enable you to establish your starting pitch, and will begin by saying, “3, 4, Sing...”
The Silver Swan practice tracks:
Scores for the Solo and Quintet: one score for quality, one for intonation, and one for musicianship, per judge.
The point scores for all portions of the audition are as follows:
1-2 Highly Superior