CMS PTO Committee Information
From the Treasurer
To receive reimbursement for PTO expenses, please complete a Check Request Form and attach vendor receipts and/or invoices.Please complete the following forms for Cultural Arts assemblies and other PTO sponsored events: Receipt for Cash Deposit and Programming Information Sheet.Please use this letterhead document for correspondence.If you need a cash box for your event, please complete Cash Box Request form.
Completed forms should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Communications Liaison and Website Coordinator
To have news, photos, or other information from your committee's activities and events posted on the PTO website, please contact Sue Seto .
Committee Responsibilities and Descriptions
In addition to the specific responsibilities described below, chairpersons are asked to:- Report at monthly PTO meetings.- Keep a record of their activities in the committee folder.- Return the committee folder at the end of the school year.
If you have any questions about your committee, please contact the PTO president.Audit: Conducts annual audit of the PTO books after the close of the fiscal year on July 31. Audit needs to be completed by October 1.Board of Education Liaison: Attends BOE meetings (1-2 per month) and reports at PTO meetings on important happenings in the district, with emphasis on those affecting Columbia Middle School.Book Fair: Coordinate annual Book Fair. Work with book fair vendor, set up/break-down book fair, organize volunteers, and advertise in various locations.Campaign:Explore ways to raise funds if needed to meet PTO budget. Run small fundraising efforts such as recycled summer reading books, restaurant reward night, Amazon smile.Creative Arts Showcase: Coordinates with the faculty and administration to obtain and display student entries at the Showcase. Coordinate with GL Creative Arts Showcase representatives to work in conjunction with the GL Spring play.Cultural Arts: Arranges special assemblies for students based on the PTO budget and the principal’s time constraints. Any program that exceeds the budget must be approved at a PTO meeting. Attends meetings with Cultural Arts chairs from other Berkeley Heights schools and a member of the administration. Ideas for programs come from literature received from entertainment groups, cultural arts showcase events and discussion with other chairs and the principal. The committee should check the PTO mailbox and its folder regularly to see if any information has been received from potential program presenters.Note: The PTO president must sign all contracts. Performers must submit a current Certificate of Liability Insurance or a statement on letterhead if they do not have liability insurance. This certificate/letter must be submitted to the treasurer, along with a programming sheet, in order for the performer to be paid.Curriculum Liaison: Meets periodically with the assistant superintendent and the curriculum liaisons from the other schools. Receives updates on planned curriculum changes and may be asked to give input and review relevant videos.Directory: *Computer skills necessary* Obtain student contact information from the district's InfoSnap. Upload into template. Review, revise, and update with PTO president in order to distribute to CMS PTO members.Enrichment Day:
1. Meets with the principal at the beginning of the school year to set the date, typically a Friday afternoon at the end of May.
2. Enlists paid and unpaid artisans, exhibitors, the principal, teachers, staff, parent volunteers and members of the community who have special talents to provide each student with an hands-on experience in 3 different areas of interest. There should be approximately 25 presenters.
3. Obtains volunteers to serve as parent chaperones. Obtains a list from the Volunteers Committee chairperson and asks for additional help at a PTO meeting or via the PTO newsletter, Tiger Tales, daily notice, etc.
4. Coordinates a luncheon for the exhibitors with the Hospitality Committee.Environmental Committee: Coordinate new ways for CMS and the community to become environmentally friendly.Family Care & Concern: Welcomes new families to CMS. Provides support (e.g., meals, transportation) for families in times of crisis or need as requested by the PTO president or the principal.Graduation Hospitality: Coordinates the 8th grade graduation reception in June.Membership: *Computer knowledge and access necessary*
1. Prepares the PTO membership flyer.
2. Collects forms and dues, and creates an accurate computer file with all the members.
3. Works with the treasurer to deposit funds.
4. Provides one copy of the complete membership list to the President and provides updates throughout the year.
5. Reports at the monthly PTO meetings on the monies raised and the current membership count.Nominating and Transition: With the PTO Vice President as chair, serve on the Nominating committee to fill the roles for the PTO positions. Assist in assignment notifications, as well as aide in position transition.
Publicity: Photographs events at CMS and displays them in school (coordinate with the administration) or submits them to area newspapers, to the PTO newsletter, or to the PTO, school or district websites. Coordinates with other committees (e.g., Cultural Arts) to cover upcoming events. Publicizes upcoming events at CMS in the local papers via press releases in consultation with the administration. Provides photos for the school yearbook as requested.Note:
Each photo must have the appropriate publication consent from the families. Check with the school office for parental permissions before submitting photos to any publication. Try to submit to TapInto when appropriate.Safe Routes to School: Each school PTO will have a chairperson. They will liase directly with town SRTS committee. Collect, report data from SRTS events.Special Education Liaison: Acts as a liaison between parents of classified students, the PTO and the district’s office of Special Services. Ensures that the needs of classified students are considered when planning PTO events.Spiritwear: Coordinates sale and distribution of spiritwear at Locker Day as well as throughout school year.
Teacher/Staff Appreciation: Plans and coordinates events and gifts for Auxiliary Staff Appreciation (custodians, kitchen and maintenance staff), Secretary’s Day, School Nurse’s Day and Teacher Appreciation Week.Website Coordinator: Maintains the CMS PTO website. Updates the site regularly with information for CMS parents and PTO volunteers. Consults the PTO president on content and the BHPS technology specialist coordinator on system issues as needed.