Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I report my child absent?

    To report an absence call the Absentee Line at 908-464-1713 & press "1" for attendance or email Mrs.Lake at

    Do I need to report my child absent every day when they stay home?

    Yes, or you may report extended absences when you leave a message on the absentee line or email

    Does my child need an annual school physical?

    No, only new students are required to have a physical on entrance.

    Are there any new immunization requirements for my child?

    New immunizations are required for 5th graders as they enter 6th grade at Columbia Middle School.

    What temperature is considered a fever?

    Any temperature over 100 is considered a fever.

    My child has a fever.  When can they return to school?

    A child must be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school.

    How soon can my child return to school after GI symptoms?

    A child must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to school.

    Can I send in cough drops for my child?

    Yes, but parents must also send in a completed Over-the-Counter Medication form (which can be found under the medications section of this website)

    I treated my child or one of their siblings for head lice.  Should I call the school nurse?

    Yes, please report head lice to the nurse

    Should I let the school nurse know if my child has been absent due to strep throat, conjunctivitis or other communicable diseases?


    Can I write a note to excuse my child for gym & recess?

    Yes, parents can write an excuse for up to one week.  A note from a physician is required for gym excuses that extend beyond one week.

    Will my child need a doctor's note for crutches?


    How often do I need to get a new doctor's order for medication given at school?


    How often do I need to complete an authorization form for over-the-counter medication?