Welcome to 6th Gr Band
Dear 6th Grade Band students,
Greetings! I hope you had an enjoyable and relaxing summer. It is hard to believe that the school year has begun. I am really looking forward to a great year of classes, rehearsals, concerts, and making music together.
Our Music program requires students to purchase CMS polo shirts to be worn at all of our performances. The cost is $13.50. Please see the CMS Music Shirt order form on my website link. Orders are due by Sept 29, 2018.
Here are our concert dates for the year so far:
Winter Band Conert: 1/25/18 at 7:30pm at GLHSSpring Band Concert: 4/17/18 at 7:30pm at GLHS
Sixth Grade Band students should have the supplies below by Sept 11. We will begin playing from the method books on Sept 11. Band students do not need to bring in their instruments the first 2 days of school. Not all students will be in Band all three days , and students may not have their lessons the same day as Band. Band will take place every Day 1, 2, and 4. Students are allowed to come to the band room to drop off their instruments at 8:10am.
Lessons will begin the week of Sept 18. Please have your child bring all supplies and instruments to their assigned lesson day. A rotating lesson schedule will be coming out shortly. Find your child’s name/day on it and keep it posted somewhere your child can see to check their assigned lesson period and day for that week. If your child is taking private lessons on their band instrument (not piano, guitar), they are not required to come to school lessons. They can come to just the band rehearsals. Please notify me, if your child will be opting out of school lessons and confirm whom your child is taking lessons with.
It is important that your child begins his/her musical year with instruments in top playing condition. It is even more important that your child has the necessary and required equipment/accessories needed for their instrument. Please see the supply list below to see what needs to be provided.
· All students are required to have books 1 and 2 Standards of Excellence by Bruce Pearson for their specific instrument. These are available at your local music store. Students will also be required to purchase shirts at a later time.
· Flute: cleaning rod, cloth, Black 3 ring binder w/20 protector sheets, name tag on instrument case with their contact info, and a pencil in instrument case at all times.
· Clarinets/Sax: Cleaning swab, #2 reeds for beginners, and #2.5 size reeds for third yr players. Students should have 5 good reeds in their case at all times, Black 3 ring binder w/20 protector sheets, name tag on instrument case with their contact info, and a pencil in instrument case at all times.
· Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone, Tuba: Valve oil, slide oil, cleaning kit for their instrument (includes all cleaning brushes as well as oils), Black 3 ring binder w/20 protector sheets, name tag on instrument case with their contact info, and a pencil in instrument case at all times.
· Percussion: Students need to have Alfred's Drum Method book 1 by Feldstein and Block, as well as Modern School for xylophine, marimba and vibraphone by Goldenberg. These can be purchased at any music center or online. These students also need drum sticks, a Black 3 ring binder w/20 protector sheets, and a pencil for school as well as a snare drum for home practice.
Carefully review this information. I am looking forward to starting our wonderful musicians! If you have any further questions or concerns, I may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for supporting your child’s musical education.
6th Grade Band Directorlferrari@bhpsnj.org